Move booked without PHP

Community Support for Booked Scheduler
Warthaug

Move booked without PHP

Post by Warthaug »

I have to move my booked instillation from a virtual server I was running to my uni's central computing infrastructure. This may be quite an issue as our ITS will not permit me to transfer PHP files from a system outside of their control to their server. I've not found many documents on moving booked, but the few I have found all require you to export and then import your PHP database.

Is there a way to move users, passwords, schedules, bookings, groups, etc, without exporting/importing directly into PHP?

Thanks

Bryan

fzobitz

Re: Move booked without PHP

Post by fzobitz »

Your question doesn't make sense (at least to me).

There are 2 parts: the booked source files and your database. My advice would be to install a fresh copy of booked on your new servers first. This will ensure the program is working in its new environment. Then, once that is completed, take a copy of your current database and restore it to the new location, update your config file and you should be good to go.

If you have made any modifications to the core booked files, or if you allow users to attach files to their reservations, then you will need to make sure these items get transferred over.

Warthaug

Post by Warthaug »

But how do I move the database? I do not have access to the PHP or SQL components of the new server, and am not permitted to directly upload files into either. E.G. Instillation of booked would be done by IT (via softalicious, I think), and I am limited to the web interface of booked.

fzobitz

Post by fzobitz »

I get the fact your hands are tied from an infrastructure point of view (I have been in that situation many times), however, it comes down to convincing them to restore a database into the new environment. I would work with the DB Admin and provide them access to the current database for them to handle the backup/restore, or ask them if you were to provide the backup if they could restore it.

I would also use backup/restore vs. export/import. Fundamentally they are somewhat similar, however, it might be perceived differently.

Good luck!

Warthaug

Post by Warthaug »

Minor update - we moved the system manually as our ITS people refused to budget on giving me direct access to PHP/SQL system. Inadvertently was a good thing, as it forced me to expunge a bunch of former users :roll: